Friday, November 5, 2010

Books I Love - The Pillars of the Earth

     I thought that this morning I would share one of my favorite books. One thing you should know about me is that I am not a very good book reviewer, so many times when I share a book with you I will share some information form various sources followed by some thought from me.


The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
     "In a time of civil war, famine and religious strife, there rises a magnificent Cathedral in Kingsbridge. Against this backdrop, lives entwine: Tom, the master builder, Aliena, the noblewoman, Philip, the prior of Kingsbridge, Jack, the artist in stone and Ellen, the woman from the forest who casts a curse. At once, this is a sensuous and enduring love story and an epic that shines with the fierce spirit of a passionate age".-From Ken Follett's Page
     "The Pillars of the Earth is a historical novel by Ken Follett published in 1989 about the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge, England. It is set in the middle of the 12th century, primarily during the time sometimes called the Anarchy, between the time of the sinking of theWhite Ship and the murder of Thomas Becket. The book traces the development of Gothic architecture out of the preceding Romanesque architecture and the fortunes of the Kingsbridge priory against the backdrop of actual historical events of the time."-From Wikipedi
      At 973 pages this book can be intimidating. Heck, the book is about a cathedral, but before you make judgement hear me out. When you are reading the book you don't think you are sitting through a history class on the architecture, you see the character experience life. There is mystery, adventure, suspense, even romance! This book keeps you attention and before you know it you've finished the book and it is 3am and you have to be at work at 6am. You know a book is good and that you enjoyed it when you finish it and you feel like you have lost a friend. I lost a friend that night, but at least I can always read it again!


No comments:

Post a Comment